i undermine you, then try and find you

last night ftw.

last night as me and cassy were driving to coquitlam, we decided to give jeff a ring. It hadn't even crossed my mind, and i don't know what made it cross Cassy's either, but it was out of routine to do that, which is sad. We all used to be really good friends with Jeff...but he was different in the last year of highschool. Or at least the second half of highschool. He became quieter. He started drifting away, didn't even come to grad. None of us knew why. And at the same time we did. We just didn't want to like or believe it.

The phone rang three times before he picked up and i was surprised when he didn' say "you've reached jeff rusu please leave a message at the tone." He didn't sound happy. He sounded...more reserved. We asked if we could stop by and say hi. He said sure, and asked if he should meet us anywhere instead. We ended up at mcdonalds where we stayed for the next two and a half hours just talking. And to me that night beat out the rest of the nights i've had...maybe this summer.

He was different. You know when people say "you can tell there's something different about christians" ??..i never really noticed it or thought of it til last night. I always had thought "yeah i'm going to be different" but what i really ended up doing was becoming more fakely nice. He was pretty quiet at first, but when he started talking, he couldn't stop. Like this fire that was spreading. Last night was the first time I've ever seen anyone so confident, so sure, so devoted to what they know and understand in their faith. He began talking about stories about other people, about his church, about the bible. And where it crossed my mind that it was a little like he was preaching to us....it wasn't like that at all. Everything he said was geniuine and he never disagreed with us when we challenged him, he just offered another point of view.

It wasn't necessarily about what he said, but about the way he said it that's stuck in my head. But last night made me think and realize...it's time to go back. I had my fun. I had my "step back". It's time to take two steps forward. There have been so many hints from God to lead me back and i generally choose to ignore them or forget them. That's what happens in life....we get busy. we forget. Time to remember.

0 comments:

Post a Comment